Hi, I'm Al Ritt. I've fished as long as I can remember and have been fascinated with flies almost as long. Growing up in southern Michigan I fished primarily for warm water species, but remember feeling magic in trout and trout flies. I recall in grade school making “flies” including forming my own “hooks” out of pipe cleaners. I took my first formal tying class in 1983 after moving to California. Since then I've tied flies and fly fished for trout, grayling, bass, pike, panfish, catfish, carp, steelhead, salmon, bonefish, permit, snook, tarpon, redfish and other species.
Currently I co-own and operate Al Ritt Flies along with my Wife Diana. I am a fly tying instructor and a destination travel host. As Brand Manager for PEAK Fishing, a manufacturer of premium quality fly tying vises and equipment and bamboo rod making planing forms and tools, my duties entail sales/marketing, product development and customer service.
Some of my other activities in the fishing industry include:
- I authored the book 25 Best Most Versatile Flies (Stonefly Press)
- I am Fly Tying Editor for Fly Fusion Magazine and Department Editor for Fly Fishing & Tying Journal
- I have written articles for Fly Fusion, Fly Fishing and Tying Journal, Fly Tyer and Hatches Magazines
- I have hosted domestic and international destination fishing adventures in Colorado, Oregon, Alaska, Mexico and Belize
- I was profiled in Colorado Trout Flies; Great Patterns and the Remarkable People Who Tie Them by Todd Hosman (Streamside Press), The Master’s Fly Box by David Klausmeyer (Globe Pequot) and contributed tips for Better Flies Faster by David Klausmeyer (Stackpole Books)
- I am a fly designer for Montana Fly Company
I am currently a member of The Outdoor Writers Association of America, Trout Unlimited, a life member of the International Federation of Fly Fishers and a life member the IFFF Fly Tying Group, A member of the Catskill Fly Tyer’s Guild and The Fly Dressers Guild.
I regularly appear as a demonstration tier at numerous fly shops and expos including The Fly Fishing Show in Denver CO, Somerset NJ, Lynnwood WA and Pleasanton CA, The International Fly Tyer’s Symposium in Somerset NJ, the International Sportsman’s Expo in Denver CO, the IFFF Annual Fly Fishing Fair in Loveland CO, West Yellowstone MT and Spokane WA, New Mexico TU Fly Tying Expo in Albuquerque NM, East Idaho IFFF Fly Tying Expo in Idaho Falls ID, Black Canyon Fly Fishing Show in Montrose CO, Western Colorado Fly Tying Expo in Grand Junction CO, West Denver TU Fly Tying Expo in Golden CO, IFFF Southern Council Conclave in Mountain Home AR and the Midwest Fly Fishing Expo in Warren MI.
I am privileged to serve as a pro-team member with Partridge Hooks as well as PEAK Fishing, Whiting Farms, Pro Sportfisher, Performance Flies, Flymen Fishing Company, Semperfli and Loop USA.